March 16, 2012

Multi Media: Art Feeds Art

I have a writer friend who has spent enormous amounts of time online, downloading songs that help inspire her writing. When I say "enormous amounts of time", I mean, like, weeks. I owe her an apology because I always secretly thought it was just a way to waste time. Sorry CMF, I get it now.

Several weeks ago, I heard Adele's Rolling in the Deep for the first time. (I know, have I been living under a rock, or what?) This song gave me chills, in fact it still gives me chills. Because I see and hear one of my characters raging at my face every time I hear it. This song has made this character real for me. Totally, (furious, sad, confused) vengefully, real.

So now, I'm all about helping my creative soul find its nourishment in art. Art feeds art. This is why vision boards are so loudly touted, and why I now have one in the works. Nothing inspires beauty, and the desire for beauty, like beauty itself. As I pour over beautiful imagery and close my eyes into a rocking song, I am reminded of my teenage days when everything I did had a soundtrack. When I went out with my camera I always had my walkman (yes, I'm that old) strapped to my belt loop. Every time I sketched, the boombox was blaring. (It used to drive my brothers crazy.) And even late at night when I was reading with a flashlight, I still wore my headphones. It's no wonder my creative mind was starved into near extinction as I moved away from this lifestyle and into the corporate world; consumed with the driving need to achieve some kind of financial pot of gold, all the while my hated job slowly sucking my joie de vivre. It's time to go back. Back to a place inside that allows, needs, begs for, beauty and art.

Thank you to all my friends (you know who you are!) that over the years have encouraged me to go back to myself. To feed my self. I'm working on it.

Cheers!
A.J.

I'm working on a big scene in my WIP. My MC has run away, and as she rolls farther and farther on her own road, she is overwhelmed by a sense of guilt at the debilitating fear and despair she knows she has caused her guardian. 

The song I hear for this is Done All Wrong by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. This image represents the moment well.

Happy soul-feeding, friends.








Pink Sherbet Photography /Free Photos

2 comments:

  1. Pfft! Waste of time? I'm glad you get it now, though. And I'm so going to torture you with my playlists when you visit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...