March 02, 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors: Mar.3, 2013

It's Weekend Writing Warriors again!

If you would like to join the fun here are the rules. And don't forget to visit the WeWriWa website to read 8 sentences from the other writers!

Thanks again to all of you that read and commented last week, it really keeps me writing!

Last week's 8 showed how Sahlaana's brood of gods created the landscape, animals to inhabit it, and a spiritual net to bind them all together. Here is the next step in the creation myth of the Dakina Islands. (I'm sorry, I did get rather creative with my commas and semi-colons to fit this into 8 sentences.)



One day a raven fell from the sky.
He coughed and sea shells came up from his belly.
The sea shells tore the raven’s throat and destroyed his song forever.
Sahlaana gathered the shells in her hand and blew on them and the First People were born.
Tiga taught them to hunt and to harvest; he touched their bodies and gave them pleasure and pain.
Tanga taught them to fish the seas and streams; he touched their minds and gave them thoughtfulness and pride.
Tana taught them to make fire; he touched their hearts and gave them love and hate.
Taijala taught them to tend the net, for a single weak thread could unravel the whole; she wove them into the net and gave them connectedness and consequence.

And that's my 8 for this week. Thank you so much for reading and feel free to leave any comments or advice. Check out the fantastic excerpts by the other writers at Weekend Writing Warriors, and come back next week to find out how people effect the world of the Dakina Islands.

I would also like to say THANK YOU again to WeWriWa and Basan for the song they prized me with on my excerpt from Feb.10th (check it out to hear the song!). I've been bragging like crazy and sending it to everyone I know!

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful, l love how you've put absolutely everything into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sorry for the Raven! But yet again, I am so enjoying the rhythm and pacing of this story and how the elements fit together. Wonderful excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica, I really appreciate you coming by and checking it out.

      Delete
  3. I love your creation myth. It has heart and soul, it is savage, but also very tender. Stunning! And the associations are mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you Dana! I couldn't ask for a better response. :)

      Delete
  4. I loved it and I hope this is okay to say but I loved Jonathan Livingston Seagull, written by Richard Bach. Your writing is very fluid and reminded me of him. The timing and imagination is amazing. Loved it and cant't wait for next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhm, comparing my writing to that of an admired writer? Totally allowed! Thank you!!

      Delete
  5. I absolutely adore your creation myth. It flows so perfectly. (And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to get creative with punctuation, LOL.) Can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comrades in creative grammar! Thank you for your wonderful comments Ann.

      Delete
  6. This is awesome. I was a bit disturbed by the raven losing his song (he'll be singing nevermore [bad joke]) but then I remembered what ravens sound like and I felt better. Not the most melodious of creatures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Poor raven, he had a beautiful song until those shells came up and ruined it into what it is now! But, he gets his revenge later...

      Delete
  7. You are doing an awesome job formulating your creation myth. I can tell you put a lot of thought into how all the pieces of it fit together. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad to hear that the pieces fit. The words that come out can't compare to what I see in my head, so I never know if it's working. Thank you so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  8. Your myth is very well done. I'm enjoying it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the best section yet---such good rhythm and flow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, cool, I'm glad you like it. :) Thanks for reading (and commenting!).

      Delete
  10. I'm intrigued by your inclusion of a raven in your creation myth–I especially like that people were created from his misfortune and pain. I wonder how that will impact the world and people's views of the raven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very interesting that this stood out for you, because you're right; it has a profound effect on the way the people and the raven interact. My WIP is called A BIRD'S EYE VIEW and the raven is key in it...!!

      Delete
  11. So lyrical, it's almost like poetry. Beautiful myth building!

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do such an amazing job creating a myth!

    Dani-Lyn Alexander

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...